- Ringing Rocks has the chiming, beautiful tones of an ancient boulder field. As hammers strike stone, the powerful clangs resonate like church bells and bring to life a natural sonic wonder. Plus, you receive many types of melodic tones, hammering rhythms, grinding metallic stone, resonant scrapes, and much more. If you need rocks unlike any you’ve heard before, listen to Ringing Rocks.
- No processing was done to the rock samples other than quantizing the strikes to tempo (from 0:55 to 1:41).
- Featured on Designing Sound: "Our Favorite Sounds of 2016"
- 237 files, 500+ natural chime and bell-like rock sounds
- Perfect for use as found sound percussion and can easily be made into a Kontakt sample instrument
- Captured in 192 kHz for exquisite detail and sound designing potential
- A small hammer, medium sledgehammer, and crowbar were used to create a variety of timbres
- Audio files with single strikes alone
- Audio files with many sequential, varying strikes
- Resonant scraping of hammers on rock for tactile textures that are perfect source material for rich metallic drones
- Rocks with a strong fundamental pitch include the closest equal temperament note in the metadata, for example, Db6.
- Bb’s, Db’s, and Gb’s are common throughout this boulder field
- If the rock did not have a strong pitch, unpitched and complex pitch descriptors are included
- Major third, minor third, half step and other naturally occurring melodic motives generated by “playing” the rocks with multiple hammers
- Audio files labeled by parent rock numbers: 1-31 to easily find samples played with different implements that have similar harmonic content
HOW IT'S MADE VIDEO:
Read the full story of how I recorded these strange sounds on the A Sound Effect Blog!
|Specs: 1.93 GB – 192 kHz / 24-bit – 218 matrixed stereo WAVs – 500+ sounds Approx. 27 min total|
|Metadata: CSV, Soundminer, BWAV|
|Categories: Materials & Textures, Rock/Stone|
|Location: Eastern Pennyslvania|
|Mastering: read my Field Recording Mastering Rules for more info.|
|Delivery: Instant - blazingly-fast - digital download|
|License type: Single user, royalty-free - for a multi-user license, click here|
|Sound Library Guarantee: If you're unhappy with my field recordings in any way, I'll give you store credit equal to the cost of the sound library. Read the full details – here.|
- Sennheiser MKH 50/30 MS pair
- Mid/Side recordings decoded to LR stereo
- Sound Devices 702
- Rycote AG MS Blimp