FIELD RECORDIST + SOUND DESIGNER + COMPOSER
THOMAS REX BEVERLY
- Thomas Rex Beverly is an audio field recordist and composer based in Philadelphia. He loves to travel and search for new sounds to explore. Specifically, he is interested in preserving changing environments through field recording and multi-media composing.
- Thomas is a graduate of Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas where he received a bachelor’s degree in music composition. While at Trinity, he studied with Timothy Kramer, David Heuser, Jack W. Stamps, and Brian Nelson. Beverly studied abroad in the fall of 2008 in Prague, Czech Republic. There he studied composition with Czech composer Michal Rataj and researched contemporary Czech music. He completed a Master of Arts in Teaching in Music Education at Trinity University and then taught as the Band and Choral Director at KIPP Aspire Academy in San Antonio.
- His performances include the 2014 Biennial Symposium for Arts and Technology at Connecticut College, N_SEME 2014 at Georgia Southern University, the 2014 SCI Iowa New Music Symposium, the 2014 TransX Transmissions Art Symposium, the 2014 Sweet Thunder Electroacoustic Festival, Circuit Bridges, IngenuityFest 2014, the 2014 Firenze Multimedia Festival, 2015 Toronto International Electroacoustic Symposium, NYCEMF 2015, the 2015 International Computer Music Conference, and the 2015 SCI National Conference. His piece Ringing Rocks is a winner of the Cypress Symphonic Band Call for Scores for new wind ensemble music and he was one of eight composers selected to attend the 2014 So Percussion Summer Institute.
- His piece Ocotillo was selected as both a winner of the Juventas New Music 2015/16 Call for Scores and as second prize winner of the 2015 ASCAP/SEAMUS Student Commissioning Competition. He is a recent graduate of Bowling Green State University in their Master of Music Composition degree program where he studied with Elainie Lillios, Christopher Dietz and was a Music Technology Teaching Assistant.
- Thomas is currently focusing on field recording and the release of new sound effects libraries. He resides in west Philadelphia where he is an active composer, sound designer, and audio field recordist.
Field Recording Stories:
- Please see the table below for a list of gear I use to record my sound libraries.