- In Norway: Ice Caves, get a collection of cave ambiences from deep inside an alpine glacier. Hear cracks that gurgle like alien languages and massive crevasses that roar with ominous power. Hear polyrhythmic drips ring in ice chambers and eerie groans as crevasses imperceptibly widen. Hear ominous droning pitches as water resonates large icy spaces and massive bubbles pulsing like the heartbeat of the glacier.
- This library offers you the sounds of a natural wonder only heard in rare glacial conditions. The bellies of alpine glaciers sound like giant organic spaceships and it was magical to hear. I hope you enjoy them too. Thanks for listening.
- Massive air bubbles pulsing like a glacial heartbeat
- Eerie drones
- Airy resonating pitches
- Polyrhythmic drips echoing in ice chambers
- Melodic gurgles like alien languages
- Large jagged crevasses roaring deep below
- Eerie creaks as crevasses slowly expand
- Tranquil and resonant drips
- Soothing distant water
- After exploring many large ocean terminating glaciers in Greenland, I wanted to explore alpine glaciers in Norway.
- Alpine glaciers don’t calve like the Greenlandic giants, and I wasn’t sure if they would move enough to make interesting sounds.
- I hired a glacier guide to help me explore and was initially disappointed because good recording locations were tricky to find. But with my experience on Greenlandic glaciers, I was able to locate some wonderful icy spaces after several hours of searching! I left 6 drop rigs on the glacier and left them running overnight.
- Steindalsbreen had a unique voice of melodic drips, ominous drones, massive pulsing air bubbles, and airy tones. It was wonderful to hear the huge variety of sounds that occur in one crevasse during a 24-hour drop rig session.
- The sounds of alpine glaciers are more subtle than the thunderous boom of calving glaciers, but mountain glaciers didn't disappoint. They had wonderful soundscapes to share. I hope you enjoy listening to these beautiful rivers of ice.
- View larger version or Download CSV.
- A spectrogram is included for each audio file. Double click on the photo in the file list to enlarge.
|Stereo Specs: 7.7 GB – 96 kHz / 24-bit – 46 stereo WAV files – Approx. 3.5 hours total|
Metadata: Universal Category System, CSV, Soundminer, BWAV
Categories: AMBUndr, Ice Cave, Glacier Crevasse
Location: Arctic Norway - August 2022
|Mastering: read my Field Recording Mastering Rules for more info.|
|Delivery: Instant - blazingly-fast - digital download|
|License type: Single user, royalty-free - for a multi-user license, click here|
|Sound Library Guarantee: If you're unhappy with my field recordings in any way, I'll give you store credit equal to the cost of the sound library. Read the full details – here.|
- Sennheiser MKH8040 and MKH30
- Sennheiser MKH8020 pair
- LOM Usi
- Sound Devices MixPre-3 II
- Sony D100 and A10
- Cinela Pianissimo MS Blimp
- Cinela LEO20 Blimps
- Bubblebee Wind Bubbles
- Please note: This YouTube Short uses iPhone audio. All sounds in the library were recorded with the gear listed above.