- In Wind Harp, get an expansive collection of musical winds from the mountains of the American Southwest. Hear singing wires brought to life by 30 mph gusts and desert winds meshing perfectly with musical drones. Hear blustery blasts whipping through mountain valleys and scrappy desert foliage rustling frantically. Hear dancing grasses strike fretboard strings, pinging rich melodies with each swaying stalk.
- To record this library an acoustic guitar was transformed into an aeolian harp. I hope this library gives you a chance to hear the wind in a way you haven't heard it before. Enjoy listening to the natural music of the wind as it sings on long thin wires
- Zero wildlife of any kind in these recordings. You'll only hear wind drones.
- Created using an acoustic guitar in open A (E-A-C♯-E-A-E) and open D (D-A-D-F♯-A-D) tunings.
- Don't worry about the wind drones clashing with the music in your project. The notes are listed in the filenames for easy pitch shifting!
- Open guitar tunings allow the strings to resonant freely in the wind as beautiful chords
- Strong 20-40 mph winds
- Rich overtone filled wind drones
- Dead winter grass
- Coniferous and deciduous wind from desert foliage
- A violin bow was used to bow the strings in a few clips.
- Read behind the scenes stories from this field recording trip in my blog post: The Natural Music of the Wind
- All recordings were made outdoors.
- A Sennheiser MKH 50 and 30 in Mid/Side were using for most recordings
- DPA 4060s were used under the strings of the guitar to capture more overtones. In a few cases, I combined a DPA 4060 and Sennheiser MKH 30 and matrixed it as mid/side for a unique perspective.
- Bowed guitar clips were recorded in ORTF.
- View larger version or Download CSV
- Named markers are included in each file to help find interesting events in files with multiple variations. Markers are included in the Soundminer and BWAV description fields starting with the prefix "Marker Text".
|Specs: 11.08 GB – 192 kHz / 24-bit – 41 stereo WAVs – 41+ sounds – Approx. 154 min (2.56 hours) total|
Metadata: CSV, Soundminer, BWAV, Text Markers
Categories: Weather, Wind, Drone
|Location: Davis Mountains, Texas|
|Mastering: read my Field Recording Mastering Rules and learn more about how these recordings were mastered.|
|Delivery: Instant - blazingly-fast - digital download|
|License type: Single user, royalty-free - for a multi-user license, click here|
|Sound Library Guarantee: If you're unhappy with my field recordings in any way, I'll give you store credit equal to the cost of the sound library. Read the full details – here.|
- Sennheiser MKH 50 and 30 in Mid/Side
- DPA 4060 and MKH 30 in Mid/Side
- DPA 4060s in AB
- Sennheiser MKH 8040 Matched Pair in ORTF
- Sound Devices 702
- Rycote MS Blimp
- Rycote ORTF Blimp