- In Piano Resonance, get a collection of drones made from the resonating strings of a grand piano.
- Here's how I created the drones:
- Silently depress a series of piano keys. To do this, lightly press down several keys without causing the note to make a sound.
- Using your foot, press down on the sostenuto pedal (the middle pedal on a grand piano). This holds up the dampers on the silently depressed keys.
- Then, take your hands off the piano keys and leave your foot on the sostenuto pedal.
- Next, smack a low note on the keyboard. Specific dampers are already held up by the sostenuto pedal, so the thunderous attack quickly dies and leaves the open strings ringing.
- These higher strings sing with drones unlike any other sound created by the piano! Hear lush overtones and the power of pounding clusters with complex harmonic tones that sustain for up to 30 seconds. This library offers you an extensive collection of resounding attacks and sonorous chords from the heart of a grand piano. As a composer, these singing overtones are my favorite sound made by the instrument. I hope you love them too.
- Recorded in a mid-sized concert hall
- Attacks with resonances
- Resonances with no attack
- Thumping resonances created by striking the body of the piano
- Piano pitches included for easy transposition and inclusion in musical productions
- Varied microphone perspectives
- Contact microphone alone
- Contact microphone mixed with mixed with a Sennheiser MKH 50
- Each sound is included as a separate file for easy import and use in a Kontakt sampler.
- Single grand piano
- Two dueling grand pianos. Two microphones were used on each piano. Then, the four channels were mixed into 2-channel stereo.
- All files included in reverse
- Library includes 2GB of unique sounds. Total size is 4GB including the reversed files.
- Sennheiser MKH 50 and 30 in MS
- Sennheiser MKH 8040 in ORTF
- DPA 4060 in AB
- Aquarian Audio H2a hydrophone - used as contact microphone
- Sound Devices 702
- Sound Devices MixPre-6
- Read the full story here – The Magic of the Sostenuto Pedal
|Specs: 2 GB (4 GB including reversed files) – 192 kHz / 24-bit – 108 stereo WAV files – 108+ sounds – Approx. 26 min total|
|Metadata: CSV, Soundminer, BWAV|
Categories: Drones & Moods, Piano
|Mastering: read my Field Recording Mastering Rules for more info.|
|Delivery: Instant - blazingly-fast - digital download|
|License type: Single user, royalty-free - for a multi-user license, click here|
|Sound Library Guarantee: If you're unhappy with my field recordings in any way, I'll give you store credit equal to the cost of the sound library. Read the full details – here.|