- In Tuning Forks, get a collection of microtonal metal sounds created by plunging tuning forks into water. Hear laser-like chirps with wild harmonics shifting. Hear microtonal beating and tonal kerplunks. Hear extended clattering from underwater impacts and bass drones with deep ominous character.
- This library offers you the collection of surprising laser-like sounds from a quotidian sound source. Thanks for listening.
- Laser-like chirps
- Complex microtonal impacts and textures
- Wild harmonics
- Resonant clattering
- Singing musical tones
- Please note: the "Pitch Shifted Demo" was made to demonstrate the potential of the sounds in this library. However, Tuning Forks does NOT include pitch shifted sounds, only mastered field recordings.
- This was my first time recording sound design material using hydrophones. Here are a few of the things I learned.
- Stereo hydrophones are essential. I hate the sounds of mono underwater.
- I generally don't like the sound of hydrophones alone as well. So, I experimented with recording in Mid/Side above water and stereo H2a hydrophones below. Turns out, I love the combined sound of the acoustic mics with the hydrophones.
- My Cinela blimp (which I've waterproofed for rain recording) worked perfectly. Because of the NixWax waterproofing, I could place the Mid/Side mics extremely close to the water. This yielded crisp detail, and the mics were completely protected from constant splashing.
- With the perfect mic setup found, I proceeded to plunge tuning forks into water thousands of times in search of the perfect laser-like sounds!
- View larger version or Download CSV
- A spectrogram is included for each audio file. Double click on the photo in the file list to enlarge.
|Stereo Specs: 920 MB – 192 kHz / 24-bit – 78 stereo WAV files – 300+ sounds – Approx. 13 min total|
Metadata: CSV, Soundminer, BWAV, Universal Category System
Categories: Materials & Textures, Metal, Water
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
|Mastering: read my Field Recording Mastering Rules for more info.|
|Delivery: Instant - blazingly-fast - digital download|
|License type: Single user, royalty-free - for a multi-user license, click here|
|Sound Library Guarantee: If you're unhappy with my field recordings in any way, I'll give you store credit equal to the cost of the sound library. Read the full details – here.|
- Sennheiser MKH8040 pair and MKH30 in Mid/Side
- Aquarian Audio H2a-XLR hydrophones
- Sound Devices MixPre-6 and MixPre-3 II
- Cinela Pianissimo Mid/Side Blimp
- Mid/Side and Hydrophones are mixed into one stereo recording.